Onboarding New Employees
Congratulations on your new-hire! We look forward to welcoming your new employee to the Northwestern community. Keep in mind that onboarding is a process that takes several months. It is not only a time to assess the new employee’s skills and abilities but it is also your new-hire’s opportunity to become more acclimated to the culture and environment of both your school/unit and Northwestern as a whole. Here are some key resources to assist in a successful onboarding of your new employee:
- Manager Onboarding Checklist
- Onboarding Resource Guide
- Guiding Principles for Onboarding
- Peer Partner Toolkit
In addition, below you will find helpful information about the onboarding process, including resources for pre -and post-arrival to ensure a positive new beginning.
Before your new employee starts, please review the guides and resources below to help prepare for their first day.
- Obtaining a Net ID
- Computer and Phone Setup (Information Technology Information)
- Key and Security Access Requests (Facilities Information)
- Onboarding Foreign Nationals
- Sample Onboarding Schedule
Please be sure to review the following information with your new employee on their first day.
- Introduce myHR Self Service portal
- myHR Administration Access
- The University WildCARD
- Submitting Time Cards (Workforce Software Timekeeping)
- Pay Date Schedule and Due Dates for Payroll Forms
- Campus Maps (Evanston & Chicago)
Within two weeks:
Continue the onboarding process by highlighting overviews and education opportunities.