Skip to main content

Reporting Workplace Concerns

Resources for Reporting Concerns

Northwestern is committed to the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct and provides several channels for staff and faculty to ask questions and to communicate issues and concerns. Any staff member who has reason to believe noncompliance has occurred is obligated to report the activity via one of the reporting avenues below.

The University’s Policy on Non-Retaliation policy prohibits the taking of any retaliatory action for reporting or inquiring about alleged improper or wrongful activity.  

For emergency situations, immediate danger, or if a crime is in progress, call 911.

Manager or School/Unit Leader

Report concerns to your manager or a School/Unit leader. They need to know about issues that fall under their management responsibility and are often best positioned to act. If you don’t feel comfortable approaching your manager, if your concern relates to them, or if you have previously told them, but the concern has not been remedied, please report to the next-higher level of management or to other University authorities and resources provided below.

Office of Human Resources

Report your concern directly to the Office of Human Resources by contacting your HR Business Partner at  

University Compliance Office

University Compliance provides information about reporting concerns, key compliance areas & contacts and resources for specialized reporting on their website. If you have questions about where to report a concern or are not even sure if a concern should be reported, you can contact them at

Office of Civil Rights & Title IX Compliance

Concerns related to discrimination, or harassment, or sexual misconduct should be reported to the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance


To report concerns anonymously, you may utilize EthicsPoint online or over the phone at 866-294-3545.