Jean E. Shedd University Citizenship Award
The Jean E. Shedd University Citizenship Award was created in honor of Jean Shedd, who retired in 2018. Jean served Northwestern with distinction for more than 41 years, and during her career exemplified the true meaning of citizenship with demonstrated sustained and exceptional leadership and commitment. Jean served at department, school and University-wide levels, on committees and governance groups, and she served as a mentor and advisor to countless faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Faculty and staff are invited to nominate staff members who have continuously worked at Northwestern University for at least five years, have a record of sustained high performance, and exemplify the following characteristics:
- Demonstrate transformative leadership, engagement and accomplishment and are recognized as a role model who displays behaviors that are consistent with Northwestern’s values
- Have made outstanding contributions to the University
- Are selfless and lift others without the expectation of anything in return
- Spread expert knowledge rooted in a sincere desire to help others and the University to be better
- Encourage others to go further than they think they can, while providing valued support and guidance
- Facilitate connections and are a bridge between individuals, teams, Schools and Units
- Demonstrate by words and actions a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Are present and participate in every opportunity to teach, challenge and connect with others.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about past Jean E. Shedd University Citizenship Award winners.