Leaves of Absence
Northwestern University offers a variety of leaves of absence for eligible staff members. Faculty should review the Faculty Leave webpage for more information. Each leave of absence varies in its provisions with respect to availability, duration, holding the position, benefits available, and contributions for those benefits, as well as documentation and approvals.
A leave of absence allows an individual to temporarily leave a University position with an intention to return to that position. During the leave the individual maintains a relationship with the University that provides access to certain benefits and does not break service.
Manager and administrator resources
Types of leaves of absence
The following pages describe the provisions for 10 kinds of leaves of absence available from the University, and provide guidance to staff members wishing to pursue leave.
- Medical Leave is absence to care for a personal serious health condition.
- Maternity Leave is absence for a woman following the birth of her child.
- Family Care Leave is absence for the adoption of a child, or for a father of a newborn child, or for placement of a child in foster care, or for a serious health condition affecting a spouse, parent, child, or declared same-sex domestic partner.
- Birth/Adoption Parental Leave (BAPL) is absence for a parent following the birth or adoption of his/her child.
- Illinois Victims' Economic Security and Safety Act (VESSA) leave is for a staff member who is a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or has a family or household member who is a victim of domestic or sexual violence.
- Military Leave is absence for military reserve training, or for active military service for employees who enlist or are inducted into the armed forces of the United States.
- Military Caregiver Leave is absence to care for a military service member who is the employee's spouse, domestic partner, child, or parent with a serious illness or injury incurred in the line of active duty.
- Worker's Compensation Leave is absence for the recovery from a work-related illness or injury.
- Personal Leave is absence taken to provide staff members with approved time off for personal needs.
- Repatriation Leave (Qatar) is for those who return to the U.S. after assignment in Qatar.
- Qatar employees who want to submit their claims telephonically should contact 763-656-5049.