Benefits for Terminated Employees and COBRA
When you terminate employment with the University or transition to non-benefits eligible employment, your benefits run through the end of the month in which you terminate or lose eligibility. For example, if your last day is March 2 your benefits end March 31.
You may elect to temporarily continue to participate in certain University-sponsored benefits or to convert certain coverage to an individual policy directly with the sponsoring insurance company.
Proof coverage has ended for employee or dependents
- Coverage will run through the end of the month in which you terminate employment.
- To request proof of prior coverage to enroll in a new medical plan, contact BCBSIL AFTER your coverage has terminated and request a Certificate of Credible Coverage.
- Northwestern do not routinely produce letters stating prior coverage. You should work directly with BCBSIL for this information.
COBRA: Continue health, dental, vision and your health care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Under Federal law, you have the right to temporarily continue health, dental, vision and FSA health care account participation through COBRA.
- You pay the total monthly health, dental or vision premium plus a 2% administrative fee.
- To continue the health care FSA you must continue to make your regular monthly contributions after-tax for the remainder of the plan year.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
- The money you have in your HSA is yours to keep when you leave Northwestern.
- Funds can be used for future eligible expenses.
- You will be charged an administrative fee to keep your HSA active. You always have the option to move the funds from Northwestern's HSA to a different HSA after termination to avoid fees. Call PayFlex for more information: (800) 284-4885 (NUID 100398).
Continue life insurance
- BCBSIL will mail to your home address a letter. If you decide to continue this coverage you must send to BCBSIL a copy of the letter along with the forms and initial premium within 31 days from the date of the letter to convert or port the coverage. If BCBSIL does not receive this information within this time period, your opportunity to port or convert will expire.
- Should you have any questions, please contact Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois Ancillary Customer Service Representatives at 800-367-6401. They are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CST.
Some benefits may not be continued
- Tuition benefits may be continued through the end of the term of study only.
- Contributions to your 403(b) savings plan ceases upon termination. To discuss conversion or distribution of your 403(b) accounts please call TIAA at 800- 842-2776 or Fidelity at 800-343-0860 directly.