Hiring & Onboarding
Recruiting high-caliber talent is critical to fulfilling Northwestern's strategic priorities and the advancement of the University’s mission.
This section provides helpful information, tools and resources to help you navigate the hiring and onboarding processes at Northwestern. Those involved in the hiring process vary by type of employee.
- Includes executive, managerial, administrative, professional, research, technical, maintenance and clerical positions — both union and non-union roles.
- HR Talent Acquisition supports hiring activities in partnership with the schools and units.
See the process for hiring staff.
- Postdoctoral fellows - The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs advises on the process for postdoctoral fellow appointments and hiring activities are coordinated by the schools and units.
- Research associates - The Office for Research approves research staff appointments and hiring activities are coordinated by the schools and units.
Learn about hiring research staff.
Temporary workers are hired for occasional or casual employment and work less than 1,000 hours in a 12-month period:
- Sourced Temps - HR Talent Acquisition sources, screens and recommends individuals for temporary assignments in schools and units.
- Direct Temps - HR Talent Acquisition conducts pre-employment checks on individuals identified by the schools and units.
Explore the process for hiring temporary staff.
Unpaid interns & volunteers
- Non-employees who donate their time and services to Northwestern.
- Individuals must meet the criteria outlined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) to qualify as an unpaid intern or volunteer.
See procedures for working with interns and volunteers.
Information about faculty hiring is available on the Office of the Provost website.
Northwestern Medicine has its own hiring process. Contact your Department/Business Administrator for more information on Northwestern's hiring process.