Personal Information & Records
Your personal information is housed in myHR. This information includes your:
- Name, job title
- Mailing address, emails, phone numbers, and emergency contacts
- Voluntary self-identification of disability, gender, ethnicity, race, and veteran status
- Exception: Display Name and Pronouns are stored in NUValidate
Questions on items below may be directed to askHR.
Legal Name Changes and Social Security Number updates
To change a legal name, or to provide a recently received Social Security number (SSN), both former and current employees must submit a Personal Data Form and a copy of their new, signed United States Social Security Card. No documentation other than updated SSN card can be accepted.
- Complete the Personal Data Form.
- Submit the Personal Data Form and new, signed SSN card to Human Resources:
- Students and faculty also must submit the legal name change separately to the Registrar.
Legal name changes in myHR are sent to our benefit providers on a weekly basis. Once the legal name change has been updated in myHR, no further steps are needed.
Display Name and Pronouns
Many people use a name that is different than their legal name (e.g., preferred name, nickname, professional name). A Display Name is designed to allow people to choose which name they would like to have displayed throughout Northwestern University systems. See FAQs for further information.
- To edit Display Name and Pronouns: Log into NUValidate at https://nuvalidate.northwestern.edu/ > Edit Online Directory Information.
Benefits: Address changes in myHR are sent to our benefit providers on a weekly basis. Once the address change has been updated in myHR, no further steps are needed.
Active/currently paid employees with access to myHR should update their address information online.
- Log into myHR (multi-factor authentication required) > Personal Details > Addresses
State Taxes: Updating the address in myHR DOES NOT impact state tax withholdings on the paycheck. Employees who are working outside of Illinois must return this State Tax Certification form to askHR and ensure that the appropriate tax forms are completed. Visit our Tax Information webpage for more details.
Social Security Number Updates
See “Legal Name Changes and Social Security Number updates,” above.
Gender (Current Sex) and Ethnicity & Race
Gender (current sex) and Ethnicity & Race identification can be managed online in myHR > Personal Data > Gender/Ethnicity & Race.
Marital status is updated via the Personal Data form.
- Complete the Personal Data Formto update your marital status.
- Submit the Personal Data Form to Human Resources:
Human Resources provides resources for employees seeking to manage their personal information.
You can manage the information available on the Employment Verification InfoLine, which provides employment and payroll verification for current or past employees.