Northwestern strives to offer equitable compensation, reward high performance and provide competitive pay to employees.
Our Compensation Philosophy
The following principles guide the decisions of Northwestern University’s compensation program design and administration:
- Support the mission of the University
- Offer competitive pay based on the most current, relevant and accurate market data
- Provide equitable compensation across the University
- Be transparent with pay practices
- Reward high performance and contributions
Northwestern applies an objective approach to compensation that is flexible to changing market conditions and evolving talent needs.
Northwestern categorizes similar roles within a functional area, such as research, administration, finance, etc, into job families. These provide hierarchies and paths for progressing in your field.
The Compensation team plays a key role in the administration of pay adjustments.
Pay changes are a key part of the pay administration process. Events that could lead to a change in pay include promotion, job moves, market or equity adjustment, and more.
Northwestern has an annual merit increase program. Determining pay increases for employees is part of the annual salary management process.